Monday, June 28, 2010

Lasik

A couple of moments in my life that I'll never forget, and sort of have a hard time describing the emotion behind them because they are so big and life changing are... the mission, Marrying the one I love, having children, and today I added one more. LASIK EYE SURGERY!!!!

I went in to Hoopes vision this morning blind as a bat and came out good as new. Right now I am seeing everything contact free and glasses free. What a blessing it is to be able to see on my own. Today I was able to check off one of the things on my bucket list. "Get eyes fixed" and I can only thank my awesome mother and father in law for providing this miracle and it is a miracle.
I married into a family full of love, understanding, and such giving hearts... so thank you, thank you, thank you for this blessing Kim and Frank.

Just over a year ago I got a phone call from Ryans parents and they both wanted to talk to me. They said that they wanted to pay for me to get my eyes fixed. At that point there was silence on my end because I started to cry. To make a long story short and not go into detail about my issues of being indebted to others I had a hard time accepting their offer but after a while we decided to go forward with it.


But right about that time I got pregnant with Tommy so I needed to wait till he was born and done nursing so that time finally came and today was the big day.

The surgery was a breeze (after they gave me a Valium) it was short and painless. And for the first little while it was hard for me to open my eyes cuz they were so sensitive to the light, but I came home and took a nap (a 3 hour nap, wow that Valium really does a number on you I guess) and I woke up a new person. My eyes felt awesome, they didn't hurt or feel as sensitive and I was all rested up. Anyhoo it was a day I will NEVER forget and will always be grateful for. I truly appreciate the primary song that says "He gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings..." Really I've been looking out the window all day long at every little detail and saying to myself, These are my real eyes seeing this. I'm so happy!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow!

Dawsonfamily said...

That is so neat. I would be seriously terrified to get my eyes lasered so I am glad that it worked out so well. Let's play this week!

KTLADY said...

COngratulations, Rachel. This is such a sweet post, very touching. Ryan's parents were so inspired to do this for you. I can't think of a more deserving person. Your gratitude just confirms that they made a great decision. Happy SEEING!!

Colleen, Mike, Abbie and Aimee said...

That is so awesome! I'm really happy for you! Although I have been blessed with good sight, my mom has been "legally" blind almost her entire life. I've seen her hate her glasses and contacts and recongize the blessing you have been given! Enjoy your new freedom and the gift of sight! You deserve it!