Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ode to Babs


Babs is my grandma, who is kate's Great Grandma... the name Babs came from my sister Amy's little boy Maika...He (if I remember right) just up and started calling her babs instead of grandma and it kinda stuck...

So the other day ( the 2nd day of endless snow-those of you in Utah probably know which day I'm talking about) I went to pick up Babs to take her and give her a perm. It was freezing outside and I got to the salon where the temperature was set to 71 but show up and definitely felt like 56 degrees. I wasn't about to have my 91 year old grandma sit there with soaking wet liquids on her hair for 2 hours just to come home to catch pneumonia. So we went back and Kate and I spent the day together with my mom, and Babs. First my mom sat in the car while I ran my errands so that Kate could sleep then we went to get lunch for all of us.

(Background on the lunch) The night before all of this my mom was sitting watching TV with Grandma and a Carls JR. commercial came on with a big juicy hamburger and fries..and out of no where Babs said with a watery mouth "wooooww...I want one of THOSE!" so it was decided that the next day, my mom would get her a hamburger for lunch. When we asked her what kind she wanted and what she wanted on it she just said "EVERYTHING" Onions, pickles, cheese, the works. Oh and she said she wanted Fries and a coke. SOOO Stinkin cute I might add.

Another background....Babs normally eats like a bird.. I went ther today and she had a small yogurt sitting by her with about 2 bites taken out of it.

So we get home with her combo meal and we all sit at the bar to eat it and I seriously was dying with how adorable she was... she sat and ate that whole entire hamburger and "MMMM ed, and OHHH ed" the whole time, she also said "this is the BEST hamburger I have EVER tasted" Now knowing grandma Pete that doesn't say much because she's always one to say that something is the most or the best. But I truly can say that I believed her at that moment that to her WAS the Best hamburger she had tasted (at least in a long while)

After that we just hung out, and my cousin Todd came to visit, then we turned on Mama mia so Kate could dance... it was a -to say the least- very pleasant day!

I now look at life hoping to see it as Babs would see a hamburger, with a positive outlook and satisfying with each second.

So thanks Babs for the fun filled and memory building day, i'll never forget the parable of the hamburger.

3 comments:

KTLADY said...

That is so sweet. Thank goodness for people like her who remind us of the good. Thanks for sharing her with us!!

Mandy said...

I love her! Sounds like such a great day! I wish I lived closer and could experience some of that more often!

Ashley said...

I am so jealous you hung out with grandma all day! Call me next time!