Thursday, April 24, 2008

life is precious

I feel wierd blogging about this... but it is something that has recently affected my life. The other day I was out for a run and as I crossed the street to come home there was a small group of people (4 or 5) gathered around an accident. So I crossed the street to see if they needed a blanket or something, about the time I got there the police stared to show up so I stayed while they took care of this man that got in a motorcycle accident. He had lost control of his bike and fell off and was unconcious, while his motorcycle was under a tree that had been broken in half. A helicopter came and life flighted him to the hospital... and I went home...

I couldn't stop thinking about that and wondered how he was doing. Then yesterday I was driving by the spot where the accident happened and saw a couple standing there taking a picture of it. So I turned around and asked if they knew the man involved in the accident and the girl said it was her brother and that he is now dead... his back was broken and he bled internally, he lived for about an hour at the hospital and that was it. my heart sank and I felt helpless I wish there was something I could have done or do for his sister. I explained a little bit of what i saw and she told me a little about him and about the viewing and funeral. then we left.

I decided to go to the funeral today and I am really glad I did. before I went I looked his name up in my yearbook and i actually went to high school with him, his name was Kirt mendenhall, and he was on the swim team and sang in acapella. At the funeral I learned that he was a cub scout leader in his ward and worked for a power company... the hardest part of it all was that he was only 4 years married and had an 18 month old son.... that is exactly where Ryan and I are right now.. His wife spoke at the funeral and even though I didn't know him or her I just cried my eyes out for their situation and I don't necessarily know what I would do if I were her.

Anyway, it was a really nice funeral, and I really am looking at every moment of these last few days in a new light, that accident happened instantly that the witnesses couldn't tell the police exactly what happened because it all happened so fast, his wife was probably expecting him home for dinner at any time and in an instant her life was changed. I guess what I'm trying to say is that life is truly precious and although we have the gospel and we know that we will be together again, it doesn't mean that there isn't pain and lonleliness involved. I just pray that his wife will be able to make it through this. I'm certainly grateful for my sweet husband and hope to not take any of our time together for granted.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Hi my sweet sister. This man actually lives around the corner from us. If we went to our ward instead of the samoan one, we would have known him. Sadly, I don't know him. Levale told me about it yesterday - he was talking to the neighbors and heard. But even though I didn't know him, my heart sank at the story yesterday and knowing it was so close to home made me reflect much like you did. Love you sis.

Debbie said...

Thanks for this post. We were wondering what happened to that man. It really puts things into perspective!

KTLADY said...

I appreciated your post. You're so thoughtful.

Ashley said...

My heart goes out to this sweet wife and baby. You are a great soul for serving in any way you could. I love you. I'm sure you were noticed at the funeral by his sweet spirit and he was grateful you were there to support.

Justin and Lindy said...

I was wondering what happened to. I saw you talking to the family and wondered if it had anything to do with that. It really does make you realize how lucky we are to have our family here with us!